Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Eggs For Dayz

On our farm we have not only cows but also chickens. Since the chickens we have now are about 3 years old, we are just about due fore new ones. This fall we decided to get roughly 130 baby chicks. We had them shipped to us and we had to pick them up the post office same day. Starting them off at a day old, we had to set up an incubator and keep their body temperature at around 95 degrees and each week back off 5 degrees; until they get bigger and their feathers grow in. Every few hours we were checking the temperature so they wouldn't freeze or die of heat stroke.

Fun fact is whenever you have chickens, the magic number is roughly 60 percent of the chickens will be laying eggs. So we should be expecting roughly 78 eggs/day which turns into 6.5 dozen eggs each day. We do have our regulars who buy eggs off of us especially during holiday seasons. Our chickens are free range so that means they are not cooped up in boxes only to lay eggs (ours can run around outside if they please). 

I enjoy having chickens because if I'm ever hungry, I can whip up some egg whites anytime.  



Here are some of the baby chicks at a day old 


This is a picture of the chicks about a month old



3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome that you get to live on a farm and work with these animals. I love eating eggs especially fresh ones. My brother raises chickens like you do and it makes it so much more convenient to eat eggs. And eggs being so good for you it a great idea to keep eating them. I would one day like to have chickens of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post because it is so unique. I used to live on a farm so I understand all of that hard work that goes into it. Luckily I never had chickens, but I first lived on a horse farm which was an unbelievable amount of work. On my first farm we had 8 horses in one barn and 13 in the other barn. When I moved to a farm with pigs, horses, cows, and geese, that was a real change. It is definitely more work caring for the farm than most people think it is. I got more physical activity one day on the farm than I do for a months worth of physical activity now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raising chickens is a blast! In the past, I've helped my grandparents with their mini chicken farm. We collected about a dozen eggs a day. We retired from the chickens and just buy free-ranged eggs from our local chicken friends.

    ReplyDelete

Eggs For Dayz

On our farm we have not only cows but also chickens. Since the chickens we have now are about 3 years old, we are just about due fore new on...